Status: doctoral student
Phone: +49 9131 85 65515
Visiting PhD in the group of Prof. Dr. Rik Tykwinski, Edmonton (Canada, 2018)
PhD Thesis: “Porphyrin Functionalized Nanographenes” (Prof. Dr. Norbert Jux, Erlangen, since 2017)
Master Thesis: “Porphyrin-Hexabenzocoronene-Conjugates” (Prof. Dr. Norbert Jux, Erlangen, 2016)
Research Project: “Synthesis of a Photoactive Self-Assembled M8L12 Cube“ (Prof. Dr. Jonathan Nitschke, Cambridge, 2016)
Bachelor Thesis: “Synthesis and Characterisation of an Acetylene-bridged-Porphyrin Dimer“ (Prof. Dr. Norbert Jux, Erlangen, 2014)
Nanographenes, which are small cutouts of the hexagonal graphene lattice, are essentially polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). They have received considerable attention in the last years due to their resemblance to graphene but also due to their unique electronic, thermal and mechanical properties. To understand these characteristics in more detail, in particular the electronic communication, I plan to substitute nanographenes with suitable functionalities, for example porphyrins. The variation of size and shape of the nanographenes as well as the relative geometry and number of attached groups should give new insight into the physical and electronic properties of molecular graphenes.
- Martin, M. M., Dill, M., Langer, J., Jux, N.: Porphyrin-Hexaphenylbenzene Conjugates via Mixed Cyclotrimerization Reactions. The Journal of Organic Chemistry 2019, 84, 1489–1499. DOI: 10.1021/acs.joc.8b02907.
- Martin, M. M., Jux, N.: Synthesis of a porphyrin-hexaarylbenzene-hexabenzocoronene triad. Journal of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines 2018, 22, 454–460; DOI: 10.1142/S1088424618500451.
- Lungerich, D., Reger, D., Hölzel, H., Riedel, R., Martin, M. M. J. C., Hampel, F., Jux, N.: A Strategy towards the Multigram Synthesis of Uncommon Hexaarylbenzenes. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2016, 55, 5602–5605; DOI: 10.1002/anie.201600841.
- International Conference on Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines, July 2018
- Fusion Conference, Nassau, The Bahamas, June 2018
- FCI Scholarship Meeting, Regensburg, Germany, March 2018
- SFB 953 Symposium, Erlangen, Germany, September 2017
- Erlangen-Ulm Symposium, Ulm, Germany, July 2017
- Gordon Research Conference Physical Organic Chemistry, Holderness (NH), USA, June 2017